I was taking a gander at my recent blog posts, and a sour thought crossed my mind – I haven’t posted any cotton candy-themed cupcake recipes in quite some time. Well, we’ve got to change that! One of my favorite bloggers, Love From The Oven, posted a really unique Cotton Candy Cupcakes recipe, inspired by American Cupcake. I’m all about the recipe that Christi from Love From The Oven posted, but I just had to add my own candy fixins’ to it!
Cotton Candy Cupcakes, Inspired by Love From The Oven, with a Candy Chatter Twist
Makes approx 20 cupcakes
- 1 box of white cake mix (and all the ingredients listed on the box)
- Buttercream frosting (store-bought is perfectly fine, in a pinch!)
- Blue food coloring for the frosting (I prefer a soft “Tiffany’s blue”)
- Pink food coloring for the white cake mix
- Cotton candy flavoring, to add to the white cake mix and the frosting
- Cotton Candy and Lollipop Sticks (Where oh where do I find cotton candy? Easy! Get Charms Fluffy Stuff Cotton Candy – hint: it’s $1.25/bag at BlairCandy.com and $19.25/per 12 bags ($1.60/bag) at Candy.com.
- Plastic wrap
- Bright pink ribbon
- Assorted Colors Mini Chocolate Balls (Sixlets)
- Preheat your oven according to the directions on the white cake mix.
- Whip up the white cake mix batter according to the directions, and add a few drops of the pink food coloring into the batter, along with a few drops of the cotton candy flavoring.
- Bake the white cake mix according to the directions.
- While it’s baking, prepare the cotton candy lollipops. Simply pull apart the cotton candy and roll into a “lollipop” top shape, and place on a small piece of plastic wrap. Place a lollipop stick into the middle of the cotton candy.
- Wrap the plastic wrap around the cotton candy and lollipop stick.
- Secure the plastic wrap by tying the bright pink ribbon around the lollipop stick.
- Whip up the frosting! Put a few drops of the blue food coloring and cotton candy flavoring into the buttercream frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are finished baking and are completely cool, spread the frosting on them. Dot the frosting with the multicolored Sixlets, and gently press a cotton candy lollipop stick in each.
- Eat up this heavenly treat!